Healthy Nanaimo Bars
A note about this recipe: I've experimented with soaking cashews from 30 minutes to 8 hrs. Longer soaking makes the cashews much easier to digest--I recommend at least 6 hrs of soaking. Also, if you have trouble tolerating raw nuts (I do!) you can lightly toast the walnuts prior to making the crust. Pecans also work for the crust in this recipe.
Grease a 9x11 inch pan with coconut oil. Line with parchment
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup Medjool Dates (soak for 1/2 hour min in filtered water)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- Dash of Salt
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Soaked Cashews (soak for 6 hrs or overnight in filtered water)
- 1/3 cup Coconut Nectar (or agave nectar or honey)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Cream/Coconut Manna
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 8 oz Organic Chocolate bar
- 2 tsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Place crust ingredients into your food processor and blend until the mixture comes together.
- Press crust into pan and spread to edges. Clean food processor.
- Place all cream layer ingredients into your food processor and blend until completely smooth (stopping to scrape down the sides).
- Pour cream layer over crust. Spread evenly. Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in fridge until middle layer becomes firm (about an hour).
- Melt chocolate slowly in a heavy bottom saucepan. When melted, add coconut oil and vanilla. Mix to incorporate.
- Pour over cream layer, distributing evenly. Return to fridge until firm and set.
- Remove from fridge, cut into squares.
- Store Raw Nanaimo Bars in the freezer or fridge.